Part of the European network of Cluniac monastic sites, the church was first mentioned in 1228 under the name “St. Pierre”. Converted time and again, its history is uncertain; only the age of the bells is substantiated, as they are dated. To visit, please contact the town hall.
In 1294 the Abbott of Cluny united in perpetuity the house of St. Michel of Baulmes with the Convent of Payerne. However, during the fifteenth century and in spite of this direct filiation, the buildings fell into disrepair. On their arrival in 1536 the Bernese abolished the priory that was probably in great decline.
The church was completely transformed in 1821 and 1870. The belfry with its gothic windows and lancet arch is the sole remnant of the first church. The site of the priory is unknown.
The village of Baulmes also proposes a visit to the Museum of “Vieux Baulmes” and to the Clock Tower (by appointment only).
- Commune de Baulmes
- 1446 Baulmes - CH
- How to get there?
Yverdon-les-Bains Region on social networks