Located 5 minutes away from Yvonand, the rectangular-shaped church of Chavannes-le-Chêne probably dates from the Romanesque period. It has an unusual bell-cote and was mentioned in records from 1320 onwards.
A few kilometres from Yvonand visitors will find rewarding but discreet cultural sites which reveal an ancient history. Perched on a rocky spur, the church is a source of surprise both by its location and its bell-cote. It is mentioned from 1320 onwards and was classified as an historical monument in 1950. It juxtaposes the local inn, itself a former manor house.
The bells date from the 15th century and from 1684. The rectangular, vaulted choir is supposedly also 15th century. The stained glass window dates from 1950. The Romanesque nave has a quite recent coffered ceiling, and the polygon-shaped pulpit has borrowed parts from a number of ancient sources.
At a short distance from the church the Vallon des Vaux, a natural reserve of soothing beauty, invites passers-by to take a revitalising walk. The high point, the Tower of St-Martin, tucked away in the undergrowth, is all that remains of a large medieval town
- Eglise de Chavannes-le-Chêne
- 1464 Chavannes-le-Chêne - CH
- How to get there?
Plan de randonnées Yvonand (application/pdf)