The church of St. John the Baptist, a monument of national significance and of rare beauty, is situated in the heart of the town of Grandson. Recently renovated, it owes its reputation to its remarkable Romanesque capitals.
The church of St. John the Baptist is part of the cultural heritage of churches in the region of Yverdon-les-Bains and Grandson. From the 11th century onwards it was attached to the Benedictine Congregation of la Chaise-Dieu, which today no longer exists.
At the beginning of the 14th century, thanks to Othon 1st of Grandson, the reconstruction of the eastern front of the church was begun in the Gothic style. From 1483 onwards the inhabitants were able to attend services and baptise their children there. In 1554 the priory was closed down and the church given over to the reformed church. In 1803 it became the property of the canton and was classified as a historical monument in 1900. Between 1999 and 2006 it was restored under the aegis of the cantonal government of Vaud.
The renovation made it possible to enhance the spaces and highlight numerous painted decorations. The different ancient and modern styles cohabit in harmonious fashion.
- Eglise Saint-Jean-Baptiste
Rue Haute 23
- 1422 Grandson - CH
- How to get there?