This church has had a turbulent history. Built on the site of a 12th Century chapel, it has been ravaged by fire and rebuilt several times.
After a first fire that destroyed the town and the chapel in 1407, a new church was built. Unfortunately, a few years later, during the Burgundian War, the church found itself ablaze a second time. The rebuilding work lasted until 1525. In 1554, after a long period of religious conflict, Protestantism was imposed as the religion for the majority of inhabitants. Guillaume Farel and Pierre Viret, two natives from Orbe, then came to preach.
In 1688, major works were interrupted by a third fire, after which Bern and Fribourg helped with reconstruction work. Today, in spite of its tumultuous history, the church at Orbe presents a harmonious unity of style.
Rue du Château 16
- 1350 Orbe - CH