The Priory House is one of thousands of host residences built alongside the great mediaeval European routes. Intended to receive distinguished guests, aristocrats and high prelates of the Church, this building is probably the last remaining example of these legendary palaces.
During the Middle Ages, Romainmôtier was situated on one of the pilgrimage routes leading to Santiago de Compostela. In 1280, the prior, Pierre Aymon de Playsie, gave the order to construct the Priory House in the premises of the court of the abbey and the monastery.
From 1536, after the invasion of the Bernese, the abbey was dismissed and the monks were expelled. After the departure of the Bernese in 1798, different private owners succeeded each other and made numerous changes.
In 1959, Katharina von Arx, journalist and traveller, bought the building and discovered the hidden treasures that it contained. It was then designated historical monument of national importance.
Nowadays, the Maison du Prieur can be visited and cultural and gastronomic events are organised there. It is possible to rent spaces to hold receptions there. Finally, Café le Prieur, which opened its doors in 2019, delights the taste buds of visitors to the cloister's courtyard.
Guided tour of the Maison du Prieur:
Reservations can only be made by phone.
From 5 to a maximum of 25 people.
Length 1 hour.
Cultural and gastronomic events at the Maison du Prieur:
Various cultural projects combining events and gastronomy are also organised at the Maison du Prieur; such as the murder mystery evenings. Also, whether it is a wedding, a company party, a seminar, a team building event or a birthday, "Events & Saveurs" manages the organisation of events in one or more atypical rooms of the Maison du Prieur.