Situated in the centre of the town, the castle at Yverdon-les-Bains was built by Peter, Count of Savoy in the 13th century as a defensive construction and a stately residence. It now houses the Yverdon and region museum, the Swiss Fashion Museum and the Centre Pestalozzi.
An information centre on stilt houses, listed as a UNESCO heritage site, the Yverdon and Region Museum is one of the oldest museums in Switzerland, documenting 6,000 years of the region’s history without interruption from Celtic times to the present day.
By invitation of the town of Yverdon, the renowned educational reformer Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi set up a school for boys here (1805-1825). Adopting the principles of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Pestalozzi developed a new educational approach and up to 190 girls and boys were educated in his institute and schools in the town.
Based on the collection of couturier Robert Piguet, born in Yverdon and founder of a Parisian fashion house (1933-1951), the Fashion Museum has a collection of 5,000 garments dating from 18th century to the present day.
Castle of Yverdon-les-Bains