Pro Natura Nature Reserve in Champ-Pittet
Champ-Pittet Castle on the shore of Lake Neuchâtel has been turned into a Pro Natura Centre at the heart of the largest lakeside marshlands in Switzerland: Grande Cariçaie Nature Reserve.
Inaugurated in 1985, the Champ-Pittet Pro Natura centre organises countless interactive exhibitions in the magnificent park above the lake as well as inside this surprising castle.
Four nature trails criss-cross the reserve. On a 2-km floating stage the walk leads along reedy marshes, swampy meadows and an expanse of white water lilies where grebes and warblers nest. The forest path crosses an alluvial ash and beech forest. The roots of these trees pierce a watery, sandy and instable ground where badgers and foxes dig their burrows.
The rural path goes along meadows, ponds and orchards. The Jardin des Délices is a historic garden covering an area of 1,600 square metres behind the castle. It preserves ancient varieties and wild species.
Champ-Pittet Castle was built on the initative of François Haldimand in 1791.
Ch. de la Cariçaie 1
Fax +41 (0)24 423 35 70