The church of Champagne
The church of Champagne is located at the bottom of the vineyards at the top end of the village.
This former church of Saint-Maurice was essentially rebuilt in 1697-1699. Certain elements of the former edifice were integrated in the new building, particularly a chapel on the southern side and the main entrance in the west. These parts date back to the 15th century. The purpose of this “reconstruction” was the harmonisation of the interior by aligning the choir and the nave and by panelling the ceiling. A “small tower” for the bells as well as a gallery enhance the new place of worship. The church of Saint-Maurice was subordinated until the Reform to the Benedictine monastery in Grandson, which appointed the priest.
The modern stained-glass windows were created by stained glass artist Jean Prahin.