Pestalozzi Documentation and Research Centre
Swiss pedagogue Heinrich Pestalozzi founded a school for boys at the castle of Yverdon-les-Bains. A documentation and research centre presents his work and his ideas.
The Pestalozzi Documentation and Research Centre opened in 1977. Its aim is to maintain Pestalozzi’s philosophy alive.
Heinrich Pestalozzi (1746-1827) was a Swiss pedagogue, who initially trained as a farmer. His first institute for poor children was set up in his Neuhaus estate. In 1804, he accepted an appointment in Yverdon-les-Bains and founded an institute for boys in the castle. He developed Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s educational precepts and taught 7-16 year-old upper middle class children in Yverdon-les-Bains. At its peak, the institute counted nearly 150 children.
Pestalozzi succeeded in convincing the authorities of the necessity to create an institute for girls (1813-1869), which received over a dozen non-boarding pupils. An institute for deaf and dumb children (1813-1869), as well as one for poor children 1818-1819) followed. Pestalozzi is greatly admired by the public today still. His teaching methods have influenced modern pedagogy.
Fax +41 (0)24 423 62 61