Menhirs of the Grandson region
The menhirs of the Grandson region date back to the neolithic era (3000 to 2000 B.C.) Archeologists differ about their purpose and origin : memorial monuments, boundary stones or tombstones. Whatever the origin of the menhirs, visitors will be touched and fascinated by the history they embody and by the benign waves of energy that emanate from them.
The Grandson Menhir
This menhir, 4 m in height, is to be found a few hundred metres away from the village of Grandson, on the roadside in the direction of Fiez. It can be reached by a rural path that leads to it from Grandson.
The Menhirs at Corcelles-près-Concise
A group of 4 menhirs, of which 3 are authentic and one a reproduction, have been erected at Corcelles-Concise. The four menhirs form a quadrilateral rectangle.
The alignment of this quadrilateral was probably determined in accordance with astronomic phenomena such as the rising and setting of the sun or the moon at the time of the solstices or equinoxes.
The site dates from the same period as the important archeological site Clendy, and was restored 1843. The fourth stone is a reproduction, as can be seen by the inscription : "Erected in 1843 by Monsieur De Meuron at the exact spot where a menhir formerly stood".
A tall menhir measuring 3 ½ metres stands proudly among the vineyards at the entrance to Bonvillars, between the former residence of the Bailiffs of Bern, the « Cours de Bonvillars », and the wine-growers’ cellar with the Bonvillars protected label.
Rue Haute 13
1422 Grandson 1
Fax +41 (0)24 445 60 70
Mob. +41 (0)79 378 37 91